We have entered that stage in time where the monolithic landscape of automobiles is seeing the first major change in a very long time, the introduction of electric vehicles. This has led to an in-flow of new kinds of jobs specific to the uprising EV industry. This means that there is a massive demand for engineers who have studied this industry, know a lot about it, and are qualified enough to work within it. So stated below is a list of skills required for electric vehicles which will grant you the qualification necessary for a job in this industry.
The top skills needed for a degree in electric vehicles
These are the skills and qualifications you should have or hone to perfection to be able to achieve a degree in an electric vehicle design course that in turn will grant you good jobs within the EV industry:
- Gaining an absolute thorough understanding of all EV prototypes, which also includes hardware designing, software development, functional testing, and EMC compliance.
- You should have cross-domain engineering skills, these can include, for example, a simple and basic understanding of mechanical engineering.
- You must understand embedded product development, which includes in-vehicle and outside-vehicle deployment of many kinds of data networking protocols.
- Advanced understanding of electrics and electronics to be able to develop skills in multi-disciplinary technology designing.
- You should have a good ability to communicate, which means that you should be able to explain all forms of technical information and requirements in a way that anybody will easily understand.
Other than the skills mentioned above, you should also have a proper understanding or subject matter expertise about various forms of technologies, which include:
- Integration of vehicles and their systems
- Vehicle designing and engineering
- The mechanics of vehicles
- Simulink, Matlab, and other programming languages
- Designing of electric motors
- The processes of testing, validation, and certification utilized in the designing of Electric vehicles
- Knowledge of C programming and ECUs
- Knowing about the Electric powertrain control and its feature
- Control system development
- Data fusion and image or signal processing
- Battery engineering and Battery management systems
- CAN and associated protocols
- Technology for sensing and actuation
Once you have obtained your degree, the next step is to look for a good firm or corporation to work for within this industry, so here is a list of companies that are an integral part of the EV industry and are hiring in India:
- Hyundai Kona Electric
- Mahindra Electric
- Twentytwo motor
- Aether Energy
- Lohia Auto
- BYD Olectra
- Tata Motors
Even within these companies, there are many job opportunities you can apply for, a few of them are:
- PCB Design Engineer: To be able to be accepted for this job, you will need an understanding of circuit diagrams, electronic components, schematics, and layouts. Knowing PCB design and Altium design is going to be helpful for you.
- Hardware Design Engineer: To be able to apply for this job, you will need an understanding of circuit analysis and designs. Other than that, you need to learn the application of control systems for power converter designs.
- Motor Design engineer: For this job, you should know the fundamentals of electromagnetics and also have certain knowledge about the working of electrical machines.
- BMS application engineer: To be a BMS application engineer, you should understand the fundamentals of battery performance and its construction. Having an affinity with Matlab and Simulink programs is going to be an aid for you.
- System modeling and Simulation engineer: For this, you will need to understand the basics of signals and systems and an understanding of electric machines and power converters. Again, having some professional experience with Matlab and Simulink is bound to boost your CV in front of your prospective employer.
And that summarises our list of Skills required for a degree in electric vehicles. We hope that this article was of help to you and aided you in making the right decision.